Saturday, February 19, 2011

Working on a Webpage

I have never been much of a person who journals. In fact, I will be frank and state that I dread thinking about the time I will be putting into writing these blogs. I will therefore do a forewarning and promise to myself that I will not over think these sessions of blogging. I accept I will be most un-entertaining. I am going to try to keep these short and sweet, and I may be all over the place with my line of topics. 

As my first blog suggested, I have a mission in blogging and I will keep to it:
~ I want to keep documentation and grow from my experiences
~  Mostly, I want to develop my teaching by collaborating with other teachers
~ I will pursue finding, collecting, and creating the math lessons that will stick with my students, get them excited and confident with problem-solving, and help them see the power of learning.

Today, I had a hold up in starting this "place" of collaboration. First, I am still trying to decide whether it will be a webpage or a wiki. I am more familiar with wikis, so I think I will be going with that. If anyone has any suggestions I will gladly take them. 

Second, my launch of the ultimate lesson sharing location was annoyingly held up because I was having issues with finding a space that would allow me to freely write equations in if I needed. I think I have found a solution: http://rogercortesi.com/eqn/index.php   Thank you Roger. I apparently just need to master LateX...

At this point, I really need to sink my heart into the idea of using a wiki to create this project. I will be posting soon, hopefully, about the wiki I have created.

Look what I can do:
Believe it, or not, putting this equation on was really hard for me to do. It actually disappeared overnight too. I just found out I have to go to Roger's site, type in the LateX code, get the site to convert it as an image file, save it on my desktop, and then upload/insert it as in image here. Whew! There she is.

2 comments:

  1. Erin,

    I commend you for keeping a journal (and public at that!) about your first year teaching. It can only be a positive experience! I've found that teachers on blogs and Twitter are the most positive and helpful educators out there! You and the other bloggers in our district have inspired me to do the same. Good luck!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin,
    There's so much going on the first year of teaching; I'm sure you'll look back on your blogs later on and be amazed at what you have accomplished. I hope that you can connect with other math teachers to share and collaborate with as well as others within the district and around the world. I'll add my "good luck" as well as "have fun."
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete